Lowden S10: experiences?

Alles über akustische Gitarren für Stahlsaiten

Moderator: RB

Antworten
Laser

Lowden S10: experiences?

Beitrag von Laser »

Does anyone have experience with the Lowden S10?
How does it compare to other guitars you played?
A+M S3, Hashimoto W350
guenlang
Beitrag von guenlang »

I own a Lowden S10S with a solid spruce top and a solid mahogany body. It was handcrafted at the beginning of the 90’s in Northern Ireland. The S10S is the finest acoustic guitar I’ve ever played.

Günter
Lowden S10S
Taylor 314CES
Guild JF30-12
C.F. Martin JC15E
Tacoma RM6CE4
Paul Reed Smith CE Maple Top
Janpeter

Beitrag von Janpeter »

Hi, Laser;

Lowden is the name of a great Irish luthier located in Northern Ireland - and I visited him in spring 1990 in his workshop with his maybe twelve craftmen.

Lowden guitars sound full and powerful over all register like in a big cathedral if you know what I mean.

Now I think I had the S 10 in hand last year in Osnabruck; this is one of the smaller sized Lowdens, smaller than the usual L or O model. Havin played the Ryan and another Jumbo just befor the S 10 - to tell the truth: I felt at home with the Lowden immediately - no doubt!! It was way better in any respect than this "famous" Ryan.

The S 10 I think will be a very good choice when you need a Lowden for fingerstyle, solo classical guitar on a steelstring, belcanto with superb overall sound. Honestly I am thinking to see George Lowden next time I'll travel Ireland and take an S model over here again.

Good Luck
Jan-Peter
Lowden L 32 P
Guild JF 30-12
Guild GF 50 NT
Guild JF 65
Contax S 2
Distagon CF 30 mm
guenlang
Beitrag von guenlang »

Seltsamerweise ist meine Lowden S10S eine dicke, fette Jumbo, die gar nicht den Instrumenten der S-Serie ähnelt. Als ich die Gitarre anfang der 90er bei "George" in Hamburg kaufte, erzählte mit George, er hätte die Gitarre von der Musikmesse mitgebracht.
Ich hätte gern ein Foto der Lowden von meiner Festplatte hochgeladen, habe aber keine Ahnung, wie das funktioniert.
Lowden S10S
Taylor 314CES
Guild JF30-12
C.F. Martin JC15E
Tacoma RM6CE4
Paul Reed Smith CE Maple Top
Gitarrenspieler

Beitrag von Gitarrenspieler »

Gruß Wolfgang Hemd aus der Hose macht noch keinen Varoufakis
https://www.taaken.net
Laser

Beitrag von Laser »

Thanks all for your opnions and reactions,
so I understand that the S10 is a value on its own right in the Lowden production and models?

I have played Lowdens before, and the sound of most of them is very 'Lowden' indeed. I like it.

I am looking for a smaller than grand orchestra model (I love my A&M S3, yet a smaller body with cedar top would complement the spruce/rosewood A&M nicely).

I am selling a 1999 Furch 61 JV model ( cedar /mahogany): not because the sound lacks of expression, but because:
- played hard, the thin cedar top reacts with a 'compressed' sound, it doesn't like to be played hard;
- the body size is a bit over the top for fingerstyle to my taste.

It's a nice Furch in it's own right, but I might want to look further.
The A&M is staying right here, I wouldn't want to sell that one.

So the Lowden S10 cedar /mahogany seems a good choice.

Your opinions are welcome!
A+M S3, Hashimoto W350
Antworten